(Update: Some of the credit card offers below are no longer available. For a complete list of student credit card offers available today, visit our picks for the top credit cards for students on Creditnet.com.)
Like a freshman that got lost in the courtyard on the way to class, our list of the best student credit cards fall 2012 is fashionably late to the discussion. However, as mid-terms sneak up on college students in the upcoming weeks, it’s not just sleep that students are short of - odds are, they’re getting low on funds, too. October is the perfect time to review the best student credit cards because in many cases, promotional rates are still available. Plus, if you didn’t have time to properly review student credit cards for your son or daughter at the start of the semester, take a minute now that the dust has settled to review our list of the 5 best student credit cards fall 2012. (Because, let’s face it, those meal points are looking pretty thin at this point of the semester.)
- 1% cash back (What college kid couldn’t use cash back rewards?), plus a 25% bonus each month you pay your bill on time. (Don’t let them forget this.) Oh, and NO cash back limits.
- Track your credit score each month.
- Free text and email alerts that remind your student to pay their bill.
- No intro. APR and no annual fees.
- Easy reward redemption means you’ll receive a check for $50 after you’ve earned 50 dividend dollars.
- Receive 5% cash back on gas, groceries and utilities for the first 6 months. (1% thereafter.)
- No cosigner required, and fair credit is OK when applying.
- Citi® offers free credit tips and tools, making this a great go-to card for credit first-timers.
- There’s no annual fee on this student credit card, plus bad (or no) credit is OK when applying.
- Receive $20 after your first purchase (within 3 months of approval).
- No interest for 6 months.
- Up to 20% in cash back opportunities!
- 5x points on the things students are most likely to spend money on: books, movies and restaurants. (Hey, they’re gonna’ do it anyways - might as well get some cash back points in return.)
- 1,000 ThankYou Points after signing up for Paperless statements. (Only available in the first three months so make sure to do this immediately.)
- Bonus points for responsible credit card usage.
- No co-signer necessary. 18+ is A-OK to apply.
- 2% cash back on up to $250 at gas stations and restaurants every month.
- Shop online via ShopDiscover® for 20% cash back opportunities.
- $0 in annual fees and 0% interest for nine months.
- Tons of ways to redeem your rewards.
Best New Student Rewards Card - Discover it™ Card for Students
Young consumers new to credit won't find many student cards that offer a more lucrative rewards program than the Discover it™ Card for Students. Earn 1% cash back on all purchases, with no limits and no expiration, and 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases when you enroll. Click the "Apply Now" button for details, terms and conditions.